Junior Volunteers serve in a variety of roles throughout our Zoo! The primary role for Junior Volunteers is Exhibit Hosting. Exhibit Hosts are responsible for greeting and educating guests about the exhibit they are assigned to. Exhibit Hosts will be assigned to a specific area and will train in that area until there is an opportunity to move at the discretion of the Volunteer Engagement Department and Exhibit Guide team. The goal of this program is for each Exhibit Host to learn as much as possible about every key exhibit in the Zoo and spread our message of conservation and education.
These teens will also have the opportunity to volunteer at the train dock, restaurants, and most special events including Spooktacular and ZooLights!
This program is different from our ZooTeens! program and will not come with the same benefits. Junior Volunteers have more flexibility in scheduling and will not have to commit to the same number of service hours that our ZooTeens! do. Junior Volunteers are encouraged to apply for our ZooTeens! program once they feel they can make a greater commitment.
Junior Volunteers are a great opportunity for teens who may have busy schedules that will not allow them to join our ZooTeens! program. Both of our teen volunteer programs offer great opportunities to fulfill scholarship and school service hours requirements.
To be a Junior Volunteer, you must:
- Be between the ages of 14-17
- Commit to at least 6 months of service and 4 hours of volunteer service per month
- Accept and utilize constructive feedback from volunteer staff
- Come with a great attitude and willingness to learn
- Attend one classroom training with a parent/guardian
- Train as an Exhibit Host in a designated area before moving on to other Exhibit Host areas
How to become a Junior Volunteer:
- Volunteer department staff will be in touch with applicants about any next steps after they have submitted the application below.
- Volunteers are onboarded four times a year. Our next onboarding will be in August 2023.
- Junior Volunteers will attend one classroom training with a parent/guardian before they begin processing.
- The junior volunteer program fee is $35 and covers a name badge, t-shirt, and processing.
Volunteer Engagement Department
904-757-4463 ext. 392