Working towards making sure we are operating the Zoo in the most environmentally sustainable way possible, making the Zoo an educational resource for sustainable practices, and setting an example for the community.
Create recycling program. We currently recycle:
- Kitchen Grease
- Ink cartridges and toner
- Waste Oil and filters
- Received CleanZone Certification Level 1 and 2 Awards from Janpak, Inc. for the Trout River Grille and Palm Plaza Café implementation of a green cleaning program, a chemical dilution control program, a waste reduction program, and the use of sustainable products
- Partnered with CSX Corporation to add 3 new solar powered lights to the Zoo’s parking lot for improved guest safety and comfort, bringing total number of solar lights to 5.
- Added rain-barrels at Education and ROJ with signage.Increased Zoo participation in community conservation efforts such as the San Marco library bio-swale/rain garden and the North Florida Green Building Council’s Sustainability Resource Center.
- Increase bicycle fleet, decrease golf cart fleet.
- Power Down Campaign
- Greenie Award
- Began electrical upgrades in Zoo Hospital to include more efficient lighting
- Programmable thermostats
- Public e-Waste drives
- Green Tips at monthly All-Staff meetings
- E-waste education program