The Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens is currently seeking a team-oriented candidate for the position of full time Bird/Herpetology Keeper with responsibilities focused on the care and feeding of assigned animals and maintenance of assigned areas.
Desired skills include, but are not limited to,
• animal husbandry,
• operant conditioning,
• environmental enrichment,
• exhibit maintenance and minor repair.
• solid observational and record keeping
• excellent safety record,
• the ability to interact and communicate well with guests.
• ability to exercise sound judgment to evaluate each animal’s health, diet, behavior, and any emergency situations that arise.
• Working knowledge of the principles of captive reptile/amphibian management venomous reptile experience and the ability to handle venomous reptiles in a safe and professional manner is required.
• Working knowledge of basic water chemistry and water testing for a set of life support parameters
Qualified candidates will hold a degree in biology or related field, a minimum of two years paid employment in an Association of Zoos & Aquariums accredited institution, and demonstrated experience working with birds , venomous reptiles, or amphibians. A valid Driver’s License is required.
Applicants must be able to work regular weekends and have a flexible work schedule. In addition applicants must be able to lift 50 lbs. without difficulty, be able to work in adverse weather conditions including rain, heat, and cold, be able to traverse zoo grounds on foot, be able to stoop, bend, lift, kneel, crawl, climb, jump, rake, sweep and carry objects for short distances, possess visual acuity appropriate for animal care and general safety practices, be able to remain on feet for long periods of time, and be able to lift and reach overhead.
In addition to the salary, the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens offers all full time employees a competitive benefits package including free medical, dental and life insurance for the employee, paid time off, 403(b) Retirement Plan, Zoo Membership, discounts at the Zoo and uniforms.
EOE / DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Please submit your resume in via email in to:
When emailing your resume, please include the position title in the “subject” line.