Animal Programs Curator
Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens is currently seeking an experienced Animal Programs Curator with proven leadership skills to join our team.
• Leads Zoo’s Herpetology and Ornithology animal care and conservation teams by creating a strategic vision in line with the overall Zoo.
• Reports to the Deputy Director of Conservation and Education, and works with the specific teams to ensure the health, welfare, and best husbandry practices for all bird and herpetology residents.
• Collaborates with various stakeholders on acquisition and disposition, collection and captive management.
• Create, foster, and maintain positive team oriented work environment. Management of staff to include recruitment, retention, training and performance management through effective leadership, communication, training, coaching and mentoring
• Provides assistance, oversight, and supervision to collection supervisors in overseeing daily operations.
• Provides input into physical facilities/exhibitory and the development of capital improvement or modification requests.
• Represent JZG thru involvement with AZA and other zoological and conservation programs such as SSPs, TAGS, committees, accreditation inspections, wildlife agencies, etc.
• A bachelor’s degree in biology or zoological field or 10 years of applicable work experience.
• Five years of supervisory experience working in a zoological environment with demonstrated experience leading a high performing team.
• Must be available and able to work off hours and weekends when the need arises.
• Must have excellent communication and presentation skills, excellent time management skills.
• Experience with industry standards of animal management, exhibitory design, or master planning.
• Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
• Must be able to stand walk, bend, kneel, crawl, stoop, lift overhead, push, and pull.
• Must be able to transverse zoo grounds, ride a bike, or operate a motorized cart to facilitate tours and/or greet guests.
• Must be able to work in adverse weather including heat, cold, rain, and wind.
• Must be able to lift 50 lbs. without difficulty.
The Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens offers all full time employees a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, and life insurance for the employee, paid time off, 403B Retirement Plan, and discounts at the Zoo.
EOE / DRUG FREE WORKPLACE