Bio Facts: Variegated Century Plant
Variegated Century Plant
Agave americana ‘Variegata’
arid areas of Mexico
USDA Cold Hardiness Zones:
Low water, well drained soil, xeric
- Evergreen, leaves can get 6’ long.
- Leaves have wide yellow margins with green centers.
- Takes 10 to 60 years before blooming, plant dies after blooming and the many “pups” it has produced take over
- Flower stalks can reach 20’-40’ with pale yellow flowers at the top.
- Used as barrier fencing in Mexico because of the tightly formed colonies it creates.
- Sap can be a diuretic and laxative.
- Flower stalk and heart are sweet and can be roasted and eaten.