Bio Facts: Seashore Palm
USDA Cold Hardiness Zones:
Full sun to part shade
Low to regular water in well drained sandy soil.
- Very salt tolerant, can grow directly on sand dunes.
- This is a trunk-less palm with a clustering growth habit, reaching heights of 4’-8’.
- Leaves are 3’-6’ long with 10” leaflets in radiating groups of 3 along rachis. Has a spineless petiole.
- Leaf color has green above with silver below.
- 1” fruit is orange when ripe and edible.
- Allagoptera in Greek is “change” & “wing” and arenaria in Latin is “sandy”... referring to the bi-colored leaves and growing location